Practical supervision : how to become a supervisor for the helping professions / Penny Henderson, Jim Holloway and Anthea Millar ; foreword by Brigid Proctor and Francesca Inskipp
- Henderson, Penny
- Additional Titles:
- Practical supervision
- London : Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2014.
- Copyright Date:
- copyright 2014
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (159 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Holloway, Jim, 1953- and Millar, Anthea, 1951-
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Introduction: starting with yourself -- Beginning to supervise -- Knowing your relationship style -- Attending to tasks and skills -- Shaping a supervision session: choices of focus -- Giving and getting feedback -- Supervising trainees -- Using creative methods -- Working with unconscious processes -- Putting ethics into practice -- Using communications technology -- Supervising people in different contexts and roles --Exploring group supervision -- Supporting your development -- Ending and moving on.
- As a supervisor, how do you best support growth, learning and improved practice? This book is designed to equip all those in the helping professions who are starting out in supervision with the theoretical, practical and psychological base needed for effective practice. Covering everything you need to know, from how to build a trusting and respectful relationship with your supervisee, to offering effective feedback and shaping a supervision session, this book will help you support and encourage those engaged in emotionally demanding tasks. Particular attention is devoted to the ethics of supervision and reflective practice, as well as to the challenges of supervising and appraising trainees. Practical suggestions for using creative methods and working with unconscious processes, and short exercises to support learning and development are included throughout. Concise and jargon-free, this introduction to supervision is ideal for new supervisors in social and health care, early years services, psychology, coaching and therapies of all kinds, as well as students on supervision training courses.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- Title from resource description page (viewed October 05, 2017).
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 149-153) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25801665