Self-care for the mental health practitioner : the theory, research and practice of preventing and addressing the occupational hazards of the profession / Alfred J. Malinowski
- Malinowski, Alfred J.
- Additional Titles:
- Self-care for the mental health practitioner
- London : Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2014.
- Copyright Date:
- copyright 2014
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (208 pages)
- Language Note:
- In English.
- PART 1. Introduction to a Demanding Profession. Why self-care -- The therapist's profession -- The therapist's duties and roles -- PART 2. Hazards of the Profession. General stressors associated with the profession -- Job burnout -- Secondary traumatization stress syndrome -- Part 3. Self-Care Dimensions. The psychological dimension -- The spiritual dimension -- The physical dimension -- The social dimension -- PART 4: What's Next?. Awareness through education.
- Dr. Alfred J. Malinowski's book provides a comprehensive resource on self-care for those working in the field of psychotherapy. Beginning with an exploration of the role and duties of the mental health practitioner, Dr. Malinowski describes how the demands of practice can lead therapists to diminished psychological well-being. He explores the impact this can have and, through an examination of the latest research, reiterates the importance of the self-care of the practitioner. He presents a number of self-care techniques and strategies and explains how they can be applied to maintain psychological, spiritual, physical and social well-being. A final section explores the need for additional training for psychotherapists in the area of the hazards and self-care, both in graduate courses for future clinicians and to help experienced therapists continue learning and practicing self-care principles in their daily lives. Highlighting the importance of self-care in the psychotherapy profession, this book will be of immeasurable value to psychotherapists, psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, social workers, and other mental health professionals.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- Title from resource description page (viewed October 05, 2017).
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 158-195) and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 25801667