Landscaping with fruit : a homeowner's guide / Lee Reich
- Reich, Lee
- North Adams, MA : Storey Pub., ©2009.
- Physical Description:
- 191 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), color maps ; 27 cm
- Landscape design basics : Why is that yard so pretty? ; Plants as design elements ; Site analysis : what you have, what you want ; Putting it all together -- Considerations in planting : Climate assessment ; Soil and sun ; Personal assessment -- Growing the plants : Plant selection ; Pollination ; Planting ; Defense against pests ; Pruning ; Soil care -- Home landscape plans : A patio fruitscape ; Outdoor living and snacking area ; A modular backyard ; An edible foundation ; A children's garden -- Guide to fruiting landscape plants : An overview of luscious landscape plants ; Alpine strawberry ; Apple and crab apple ; Apricot ; Autumn olive ; Beach plum ; Blackberry ; Blueberry ; Cherry, cornelian cherry, nanking ; Cherry, sweet ; Cherry, tart ; Currant, clove ; Currant, red, white, or pink ; Gumi ; Grapes ; Hackberry ; Huckleberry ; Jujube ; Juneberry (serviceberry, saskatoon, shadbuch) ; Kiwifruit, golden kiwifruit, hardy kiwifruit, super-hardy kiwifruit ; Longonberry ; Maypop ; Medlar ; Mulberry ; Pawpaw ; Peach and nectarine ; Pear (European and Asian) ; Persimmon ; Plum ; Quince ; Raisin tree ; Rose hip ; Russian olive ; Seaberry (sea buckthorn) ; Shipova ; Sorbus ; Wintergreen (checkerberry, teaberry) ; Subtropical fruits to grow in containers.
- Fruit trees, shrubs, and vines are true two-for-one plants. Many varieties are strikingly beautiful -- well suited to doing double duty as delicious sources of sweet, organic fruit and as ornamental additions to the home landscape. Backyard fruit plants also tie in perfectly with the growing locavore movement. It's difficult to find food that's more local than one's own backyard!
- 9781603420969 (hardcover with jacket ; alk. paper)
1603420967 (hardcover with jacket ; alk. paper)
9781603420914 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
1603420916 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 177) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25803856