St Helena: Original Letters, & c., from St Helena to the Courtc, 1764-1767 : Correspondence 1764-1767
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: IOR/G/32: Factory Records: St Helena, 1676-1835. Laws and ordnances of St Helena, 1677-1714; consultations, 1676-1696, 1699-1836; law consultations, 1791-1793; quarter sessions proceedings, 1793-1801; proceedings of courts of enquiry, 1798; judicial consultations, 1804-1835; land revenue consultations, 1824-1825; military consultations, 1824-1835; commercial consultations, 1824-1836; paymaster's accounts, 1805-1819; original letters from St Helena, 1698-1812, 1828-1836; copies of letters from St Helena, 1814-1829; despatches to St Helena, 1820-1835 and various miscellaneous records. (Note on Napoleon Bonaparte: little information on Bonaparte's stay on St Helena is to be found in the records as correspondence on the subject was generally addressed directly to the British Government. However, the records contain one volume of letters concerning his accommodation (G/32/162).) 163 volumes.Origin: St Helena was not a factory but a waystation for ships on the voyage homeward from the east. The Company ships the Dragon and the Hector first visited St Helena in 1603 on the homeward leg of the first voyage. In 1645 the Dutch took possession of the island and established a colony there, but the colony was abandoned in 1652 when the Dutch settled the Cape. In the same year, the Company's homebound ships found the island deserted and took possession. The Company's claim was confirmed in 1661 by a charter of Charles II. The island was granted in perpetuity by Charles in 1673. In 1836 it was handed over to the Crown. The waystation was administered not by factors but by other Company servants, including a military commander.Related Resources: Miscellaneous Factory Records (IOR/G/40). The charter of 1673 is in Charters and Deeds (IOR/A) and is printed in A/2/3.
- IOR/G: East India Company Factory Records (1608-1858). A 'factory' was a trading post where a number of merchants, or factors, resided. When company ships arrived at the factories, ships' merchants were thus enabled to exchange goods for trading immediately instead of having to wait to make deals with local merchants. Factories were run by a chief factor and a council of factors. The 'Factory Records' is an artificially created sub-fonds; the records of individual Company factories consist mainly of consultations (records of administrative decisions and of correspondence), diaries (records of daily activities), letters received, copies of letters sent and collections of papers on particular subjects. and AMDigital Reference: IOR/G/32/127.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: St Helena: Original Letters, & c., from St Helena to the Courtc, 1764-1767 1764-1767.
- Location of Originals:
- The British Library
- Copyright Note:
- The British Library Board
View MARC record | catkey: 25805133