Individualization [electronic resource] : institutionalized individualism and its social and political consequences / Ulrich Beck and Elisabeth Beck-Gernsheim
- Beck, Ulrich, 1944-2015
- London : SAGE, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxv, 221 pages).
- Additional Creators:
- Beck-Gernsheim, Elisabeth, 1946-
- Machine generated contents note: Individualization in a Non-Linear Mode -- Individually, Together -- Institutionalized Individualism -- Losing the Traditional -- Individualization and 'Precarious Freedoms' -- A Life of One's Own in a Runaway World -- Individualization, Globalization and Politics -- Beyond Status and Class? -- The Ambivalent Social Structure -- Poverty and Wealth in a áSelf-Driven Culture' -- From áLiving for Others' to áA Life of One's Own' -- Individualization and Women -- On the Way to the Post-Familial Family -- From a Community of Need to Elective Affinities -- Division of Labour, Self-Imaging and Life Projects -- New Conflicts in the Family -- Declining Birthrates and the Wish to Have Children -- Apparatuses Do Not Care for People -- Health and Responsibility in the Age of Genetic Technology -- Death of One's Own, Life of One's Own -- Hopes from Transience -- Freedom's Children -- Freedom's Fathers -- Zombie Categories.
- The authors perceive that we humans are in the midst of a fundamental change in the nature of society and politics. This change hinges on the two processes of globalisation and individualisation.
- 9781446218693 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25810904