Professional issues in secondary teaching / Carrie Mercier, Carey Philpott, Helen Scott
- London : SAGE Publications, Ltd, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (228 pages) : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Mercier, Carrie, Philpott, Carey, and Scott, Helen (Helen Claire)
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction: who is this book for, what is it for and how do I use it? / Helen Scott -- 2.Who has all the answers in education (and why should you believe them)? / Carey Philpott -- 3.Is there more to lesson observation than meets the eye? What can you learn from watching others teach? / Helen Scott -- 4.Why is critical reflection important? / Lindsey Poyner -- 5.What is my professional identity? / Martin Watts -- 6.What is the role of the subject specialist in secondary education? / Patrick Smith -- 7.What do I need to know about the curriculum? / Carrie Mercier -- 8.What is learning theory? How can it help me? / Tony Ewens -- 9.How should I engage with classroom assessment? / Camilla Cole -- 10.What is diversity and how can I respond to it? / Joy Schmack -- 11.How do we promote the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils and how does this relate to community cohesion? / Carolyn Reade -- 12.How can I prepare for my NQT year? / Gail Fuller -- 13.What can Master's-level study do for me? / Helen Scott -- 14.Conclusion: how does it all fit together and what do I need to do now? / Carey Philpott.
- How can I develop my identity as a teacher? How does engaging in research benefit my own teaching practice? Becoming a successful teacher in secondary education requires a strong understanding of a wide range of professional teaching issues, including practical concerns such as curriculum development and learning through observation in the classroom, alongside key conceptual aspects such as critical reflection and understanding the nature of learning. This book addresses these issues alongside a range of additional important contemporary topics in secondary education. Highlighting the importance for student teachers to enhance their development by engaging with research, Professional Issues in Secondary Teaching is designed to support professional studies modules on secondary initial teacher education including postgraduate and employment-based routes into teaching, and early career teachers seeking to enhance their practice. Carrie Mercier is Senior Lecturer at the University of Cumbria. Carey Philpott is currently an Associate Dean in the School of Education, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Strathclyde. Helen Scott is the Deputy Dean for Student Experience in the School of Education at the University of Northampton.
- 9781526408082 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25811385