The SAGE handbook of research management / edited by Robert Dingwall & Mary Byrne McDonnell
- Additional Titles:
- Handbook of research management and Research management
- London : SAGE Publications Ltd, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Dingwall, Robert and McDonnell, Mary Byrne
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Preparing for a Research Career / Mary Byrne McDonnell / Robert Dingwall -- 2.Planning and Project Management / David A. Stone / J. Robert Gutierrez -- 3.Responding to a Call / Robert J. Anderson -- 4.Getting Funded for the First Time / Jonah Kokodyniak / Rajika Bhandari -- 5.Winning Large Grants / Daniella Sarnoff -- 6.Developing a Project and Choosing a Funder / Paul Martin -- 7.Developing and Managing Budgets / Amarjit Kaur -- 8.Supporting Management with Technology / John J. Koprowski -- 9.Incorporating Gender and Diversity / Zachary Zinn -- 10.Securing Access / Lut Mergaert / Maxime Forest -- 11.Considering Ethics for Social Science Research / Oscar Salemink -- 12.Managing Researcher Safety / Michelle K. McGinn -- 13.Organizing and Managing Research / Enrique Desmond Arias -- 14.Engaging the University Administration / Josh DeWind -- 15.Collaborating Across Disciplines / Mike Saks -- 16.Developing and Executing Cross-National Projects / Michael Davis -- 17.Succeeding in a European Research Environment: Eleven Lessons from Denmark / Yvonne James / Corinne Packer / Ivy Lynn Bourgeault -- 18.Negotiating in a US University Environment / Alan Irwin / Maja Horst -- 19.Managing Research in a Developing Country / Barbara Stallings -- 20.Promoting Research and Development in Large Organisations / Hy V. Luong -- 21.Working Outside Universities / Michael Hewitt -- 22.Managing the Private-Sector Research Project / Josefina J. Card -- 23.Promoting Teamwork, from Within and from Afar / Sam Ladner -- 24.Enacting Leadership in Research Programmes / Mark J. VanLandingham -- 25.Surviving and Progressing as a Research Fellow / Graeme Currie -- 26.Making Best Use of Research Administrators / Sarah Dyer / Kate Weiner -- 27.Hiring, Integrating and Removing Team Members / Sophie Dale-Black -- 28.Mentoring, Appraising and Ensuring Professional Development / Erin Johnson -- 29.Achieving an Impact / Judith M. Tanur -- 30.Exchanging Knowledge in the Humanities and Social Sciences / Michael Hewitt / Caitlin Porter -- 31.Marketing the Team / Lisa Mooney -- 32.Planning for Publications / Neil Robinson -- 33.Mobilizing and Disseminating Research Findings through Informal Mechanisms / Mary-Lea Awanohara -- 34.Planning and Executing 'the Book' / Anil B. Deolalikar -- 35.Working with Print and Online Journalism / Frank Baldwin -- 36.Working with the Broadcast Media / Charles Burress -- 37.Crafting Strategic Events to Strengthen Research Outputs and Disseminate Results / Toby Murcott -- 38.Using Graphics in Print and Presentations / Nicole Restrick Levit -- 39.Developing a Research Strategy at a Research Intensive University: A Pro Vice Chancellor's Perspective / Stephen M. Kosslyn -- 40.Using Research Process to Improve Research Practice / Teresa Rees -- 41.Moving On? / Jacqueline Williams Kaye.
- Larger-scale projects are becoming more common throughout the social sciences and humanities, housed in centres, institutes and programmes. Talented researchers find themselves faced with new challenges to act as managers and leaders rather than as individual scholars. They are responsible for the careers and professional development of others, and for managing interactions with university administrations and external stakeholders. Although many scientific and technological disciplines have long been organized in this way, few resources have been created to help leaders understand their roles and responsibilities and to reflect on their practice. This handbook has been created by the combined experience of a leading social scientist and a chief executive of a major international research development institution and funder.
- 9781473914933 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25811539