Religious leadership : a reference handbook / Sharon Henderson Callahan, editor
- Los Angeles, California : SAGE, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxx, 783 pages) : illustrations (black and white)
- Additional Creators:
- Callahan, Sharon Henderson
- Machine generated contents note: v. One Formal and Informal Religious Leadership in the U.S. Context -- pt. I THE U.S. RELIGIOUS CONTEXT -- 1.The U.S. Mainline Protestant Context / David E. Eagle -- 2.The African American Context / Michael D. Royster -- 3.Evangelical, Pentecostal, and Megachurch Movements / William Svelmoe -- 4.The Jewish Context: American Jewish Leadership / Lance J. Sussman -- 5.Roman Catholic Trends / Tom Roberts -- 6.Emerging Paradigms of Catholic Leadership / Marti R. Jewell -- 7.Catholic Multicultural Trends / Faustino M. Cruz -- 8.Islamic Leadership in America / Jane I. Smith -- 9.The Asian Religious Context: Focus on Hinduism / Deepak Sarma -- 10.Religious Leadership in the Latino/Latina Community: Leadership as Service / Jeanette Rodriguez -- pt. II FORMAL AND INFORMAL LEADERSHIP IN SPIRITUAL AND RELIGIOUS TRADITIONS -- 11.Pastoral Leadership in Mainline Protestant Churches / Lovett H. Weems Jr. -- 12.Innovations in Mainline Protestant Leadership / Anthony B. Robinson -- 13.The Evangelical Leader / Russell W. West -- 14.The Pentecostal Leader / Virginia A. Christel -- 15.Missional Leadership / Alan J. Roxburgh -- 16.The Roman Catholic Lay Leader / Sharon Henderson Callahan -- 17.Roman Catholic Ordained Leadership / Barbara Williams Eckert -- 18.Christian Biblical Understandings of Leadership / St. Paul -- 19.Understanding Jewish Biblical Leadership / Daniel A. Weiner -- 20.Qur'anic Leadership Bases: Prophets as Visionary Leaders in Challenging Times / Louay M. Safi -- 21.African American Islamic Leadership / Aminah Beverly McCloud -- 22.Muslim Leadership in the U.S. Context / Altaf Husain -- 23.Rabbinic Leadership and the Future of the American Jewish Community / Sid Schwarz -- 24.Leadership Language for the Reform Rabbinate / Madelyn Mishkin Katz -- 25.Leadership Within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints / John Hilton -- 26.Leading Historically Black Church Congregations / Mary Dana Hinton -- 27.Leading Black Baptist Churches / Donnie Moreland -- 28.Native American Leadership / Ted Fortier -- 29.Latin American Congregational Leadership / Elizabeth Conde-Frazier -- 30.Hawaiian Religious Leadership / Regina R. Pfeiffer -- 31.Leadership in a New Church / David T. Olson -- 32.Buddhist Leadership in the United States / Phramaha Boonshoo Sriburin -- Spotlights -- 33.Women Leaders in Evangelical Congregations / Jo Ann Deasy -- 34.Pentecostal Female Pastors / Ava K. Oleson -- 35.Women Leaders in Mainline Protestant Churches / Barbara Brown Zikmund -- 36.Women Leaders in Asian American Protestant Churches / Su Yon Pak -- 37.Buddhist Women and Religious Leadership / Karma Lekshe Tsomo -- 38.Modern and Contemporary Trends in Muslim Women's Leadership / Shenila Khoja-Moolji -- 39.African American Women Leaders / Michael D. Royster -- 40.Women Leaders in Judaism / Susan Grossman -- 41.Roman Catholic Women Leaders: "By Their Fruits You Shall Know Them" / Diane Kennedy -- pt. III RELIGIOUS LEADERS AND THE COMMON GOOD -- 42.The Common Good / Christie T. Lynk -- 43.Spirit-Inspired Leadership and the Common Good Worldview / Bill Grace -- 44.Catholic Leadership for Global Citizenship / Marie Dennis -- 45.Women Religious for Social Justice / Simone Campbell -- 46.Religious Leaders Who Have Advocated and Engaged in Violence / Owen Anderson -- v. Two Religious Leaders' Formation and Public Contributions -- pt. IV DIALOGUE AND ACTION FOR THE COMMON GOOD AND PEACEBUILDING -- Intercultural Leadership -- 47.Christian Leadership for Multicultural Inclusion / Eric H. F. Law -- 48.Leadership for Reconciliation / Robert Schreiter -- 49.Religious Leadership for Social Change / Mark Lau Branson -- 50.Gender, Identity, and Inclusive Leadership / Stephen V. Sprinkle -- 51.Jewish Leadership for Interreligious Dialogue / Anson Laytner -- 52.Asian Participation in Interreligious Dialogue / Tracy Sayuki Tiemeier -- 53.Muslim Leadership for Social Action / M.S. Pourfarzaneh -- Leading Action for Common Good -- 54.American Jewish World Service / Ruth Messinger -- 55.Sojourners / Timothy King -- 56.Leading Evangelicals for Social Action / Al Tizon -- 57.Building Peace: Religious Leadership in Divided Communities / John Paul Lederach -- 58.The Salvation Army / Robert A. Watson -- 59.Religious Leadership in the Catholic Peace Movement / Tom Cordaro -- Spotlights -- 60.World Vision / Gary Vanderpol -- 61.Catholic Relief Services: Fostering Integral Human Development Through Charity in Truth / Jeffry Odell Korgen -- 62.Islamic Relief / Rhea Rahman -- 63.Leadership by the Deaf Community for Social Change / Marie Delich -- Environment, Sustainability, and Eco-Justice -- 64.Christian Leadership Toward Sustainable Earth-Human Relations / Cynthia Moe-Lobeda -- 65.The Jewish Response to Environmental Action / Alon Tal -- 66.Islamic Leadership for Sustainability / Ibrahim Salih Abdul-Matin -- 67.Zen Buddhist Ecological Leadership: Just Teach the Withered Trees to Bloom / Jason M. Wirth -- Spotlights: Leaders Who Have Shaped Religious Dialogue -- 68.Archbishop Desmond Tutu / Michael Battle -- 69.Archbishop Oscar Romero: The Good Shepherd Lays Down His Life for His Sheep / Scott Wright -- 70.Howard Thurman: Intercultural and Interreligious Leader / Walter Earl Fluker -- 71.Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. / Noel Leo Erskine -- 72.Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel: Prophetic Leadership Confronts the 20th Century / Brian M. Smollett -- 73.Rabbi Mordecai Kaplan / Zach Mann -- 74.Rabbi Stephen S. Wise / Mark A. Raider -- 75.The Orthodox Rabbinate and Interfaith Dialogue / Marc D. Angel -- 76.Dalai Lama / Derek F. Maher -- 77.Thich Nhat Hanh / Elise Anne Devido -- 78.Dietrich Bonhoeffer: A Model for Religious Leadership in the 21st Century / Vincent J. Pastro -- 79.Very Reverend Sang Chul Lee: A Legacy of Justice and Hospitality / Mari Kim -- 80.Fethullah Gulen and the Gulen Movement / Turan Kayaoglu -- 81.Elijah Muhammad / Fatimah Fanusie -- 82.Dorothy Day: Leader of the Catholic Worker Movement / Thomas C. Cornell -- 83.Karen Armstrong: A Journey Toward God / Gretchen Gundrum -- 84.Imam Warith Deen Mohammed / Aminah Beverly McCloud -- 85.Mary Baker Eddy: Leadership and Spiritual Practice / Thomas C. Johnsen -- pt. V PROCESSES AND DIRECTIONS FOR LEADERSHIP FORMATION -- 86.General Trends and Emerging Models Across Christian Denominations / Barbara G. Wheeler -- 87.Forming Interreligious and Intercultural Leaders / Eleanor Moody-Shepherd -- 88.Formation of Christian Leaders: Forming Faithful and Just Actions for the Sake of the World / Kyle J.A. Small -- 89.Leadership Development in the American Jewish Community / David Teutsch -- 90.Formation and Education of Muslim Leaders / Quaiser Abdullah -- 91.Educating and Forming Latino/Latina Populations for Leadership in the Christian Church / Joanne Rodriguez -- 92.Forming Asian Leaders for North American Churches / Stacy D. Kitahata -- pt. VI RELIGIOUS LEADERS REFORMING TRADITIONS -- 93.Mystics as Reformers / Valerie Lesniak -- 94.New Forms of Evangelical Leadership / Soong-Chan Rah -- 95.Postcolonial Insights for Religious Leadership / Carlos F. Cardoza-Orlandi -- 96.Islamic Reformers in North America / Marvin Whitaker -- 97.Roman Catholic Reformers / Robert McClory.
- This title tackles issues relevant to leadership in the realm of religion. It explores such themes as the contexts in which religious leaders move, leadership in communities of faith, leadership as taught in theological education and training, religious leadership impacting social change and social justice, and more. Topics are examined from multiple perspectives, traditions, and faiths.
- 9781452276137 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25811967