Theorizing masculinities [electronic resource] / edited by Harry Brod, Michael Kaufman
- Research on men and masculinities series ; 5
- Machine generated contents note: 2.Psychoanalysis on Masculinity / R. W. Connell -- 3.Theorizing Masculinities in Contemporary Social Science / Scott Coltrane -- 4.Ethnographies and Masculinities / Don Conway-Long -- 5.Some Thoughts on Some Histories of Some Masculinities: Jews and Other Others / Harry Brod -- 6.Theorizing Unities and Differences Between Men and Between Masculinities / Jeff Hearn / David L. Collinson -- 7.Masculinity as Homophobia: Fear, Shame, and Silence in the Construction of Gender Identity / Michael S. Kimmel -- 8.Men, Feminism, and Men's Contradictory Experiences of Power / Michael Kaufman -- 9.Theater of War: Combat, the Military, and Masculinities / David H. J. Morgan -- 10.The Making of Black English Masculinities / Mairtin Mac an Ghaill -- 11.Gender Displays and Men's Power: The "New Man" and the Mexican Immigrant Man / Pierrette Hondagneu-Sotelo / Michael A. Messner -- 12.Postmodernism and the Interrogation of Masculinity / David S. Gutterman -- 13.The Male Body and Literary Metaphors for Masculinity / Arthur Flannigan-Saint-Aubin -- 14.Weekend Warriors: The New Men's Movement / Michael S. Kimmel / Michael Kaufman.
- Contributors from diverse backgrounds address the different disciplinary roots of theories of masculinity - sociology, psychoanalysis, ethnography, and inequality studies. Chapters theoretically model many issues central to the study of men - power, ethnicity, feminism, homophobia - or develop theoretical explanations of some of the institutions most closely identified with men including the military and the men's movement.
- 9781452243627 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- "Published in cooperation with the Men's Studies Association, a task group of the National Organization for Men Against Sexism."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25812790