How to study : practical tips for university students / Phil Race
- Race, Philip
- Malden, MA : Blackwell, 2003.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 248 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Managing your learning -- Wanting to learn -- Needing to learn -- Learning by doing -- Learning from feedback -- Making sense of things, 'digesting' -- Taking charge of your studies -- Managing your time -- Getting started -- Take charge of your syllabus -- Lectures, labs, computers, portfolios, and so on -- Don't just take notes, make notes -- Making the most of handout materials -- Keeping on top of practical work -- Using print-based open learning materials -- Keeping on top of your emails -- Computer conferencing -- Getting to know your word processor -- Making IT training work for you -- Getting your reflections onto paper -- Building your portfolio -- Planning that essay -- Shaping that essay -- Drafting and redrafting that essay -- 'I've started, so I'll finish!' -- Getting it back, marked! -- Giving due credit -- Preparing your presentation -- Preparing your visual aids -- Practising your presentation -- Performing on the day -- Ups and downs -- Peaks and troughs -- Managing disappointments -- Recovering from a disappointment -- Overcoming problems -- Getting out of trouble! -- Revision, getting your act together -- What will your exams really measure? -- Making your own question bank -- Using your question bank -- Putting revision into perspective -- Planning your revision timetable -- Getting started with your revision -- Revision processes -- Some final tips on last-minute revision -- Exams, before, during and after! -- Just before an exam -- Those first few minutes -- Answering questions to score marks -- Essays in exams -- Calculations and problems -- Towards the end of each exam -- After an exam -- Open-book exams -- 'Seen' written exams -- Multiple-choice exams -- Preparing for your re-sit -- Job-hunting -- Writing your curriculum vitae -- Choosing and using your referees -- Application forms -- Writing a letter of application -- Preparing for an interview -- Giving a good interview -- After an interview -- Final words.
- 140510693X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page ) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- New Kensington copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 20056
Abington copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 20045
View MARC record | catkey: 2593643