Handbook of technologies for avoidance and remediation of acid mine drainage / prepared by J. Skousen [and others] ; and members of the Avoidance and Remediation Working Group, of the Acid Drainage Technology Initiative (ADTI).
- Morgantown, W. Va. : National Mine Land Reclamation Center, West Virginia University, 
- Physical Description:
- iii, 131 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Skousen, Jeffrey G. (Jeffrey Grant), 1956-
United States. Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement
National Mining Association (U.S.)
- ACID MINE DRAINAGE: Formation -- Forms of sulfur in rocks -- Alkalinity in rocks -- Acid mine drainage -- Discharge limits -- Acidity and alkalinity measurements -- ALKALINE ADDITION AND OVERBURDEN/REFUSE RECLAMATION: Bactericides -- Alkaline addition -- Sewage sludge -- Encapsulation -- Removal of toxic materials (remining and reprocessing) -- Selective handling -- Reclamation (regrading and revegetation) -- Daylighting deep mines -- Synergistic effects -- New techniques -- ENGINEERED STRUCTURAL TECHNIQUES: Water management -- Impervious soil cover or membrane -- Underground mine sealing -- ACTIVE TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES: Aeration/oxidation -- Neutralizers -- Flocculants/coagulants -- Reverse osmosis -- Ion exchange resins -- Electrodialysis -- Natural zeolites -- Metals recovery from AMD sludge -- PASSIVE SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGIES: Natural wetlands -- Constructed wetlands -- Anoxic limestone drains -- Vertical flow systems -- Limestone ponds -- Open limestone channels -- Bioremediation -- Diversion wells -- Limestone sand treatment.
- "Funding ... was provided by the U.S. Office of Surface Mining and the National Mining Association."
"June 1, 1998."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 2596015