The global economy as you've never seen it / Thomas Ramge and Jan Schwochow with Adrian Garcia-Landa ; translation by Jonathan Green
- Ramge, Thomas, 1971-
- Uniform Title:
- Wirtschaft verstehen. English
- Additional Titles:
- Global economy as you have never seen it, 99 ingenious infographics that put it all together, and Ninety-nine ingenious infographics that put it all together
- New York, NY : The Experiment, LLC, 2018.
- [English language edition].
- Physical Description:
- 205 pages : color illustrations ; 36 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Schwochow, Jan, Garcia-Landa, Adrian, and Green, Jonathan, 1970-
- Language Note:
- In English, translated from the German.
- I: The individual. Employees ; The boss ; The consumer ; The poor ; The rich ; Work, money, and happiness -- II: The company. Manufacturing ; Investments ; Profits ; Business models ; The product ; The organization ; The team ; Finances ; The customers -- III: The national economy. The US economy ; The state and politics ; Growth ; Competition ; Money ; The labor market ; Prosperity -- IV: The global economy. Global production ; World trade ; Illegal global markets ; The institutions ; The global financial market ; Multinationals and brand names ; Talent distribution an labor migration -- V: Theory. Aristotle ; Adam Smith ; Karl Marx ; F.W. Taylor ; J.M. Keynes ; Milton Friedman ; Amartya Sen -- VI: Environment and resources. Sustainability ; Resources ; Farming and the food industry ; Business ethics ; Waste & recycling ; Economic policy ; Green tech -- VIII: The future. Megatrents ; Innovation ; Digitalization ; Automation ; The future of work ; The future of finance ; Saving the best for last.
- "The goal of this book is to inspire you to explore the complex world of the economy. We want to provide understandable and entertaining access to it through the medium of the infographic. The Global Economy as You've Never Seen It is for everyone who finds it impossible to work their way through the business section of The New York Times each morning and who missed--or slept through--their Business and Econ 101 classes. Our expedition through the economic world begins with the smallest economic unit: the individual. Then, the perspective becomes progressively broader with each chapter. We'll take a look at companies, the national economy, and the world economy. We'll seek insights from the greatest minds of economic theory, and then think about how--if we avoid the dangers of greed--profits can be made without throwing the planet off balance and destroying the environment. Finally, we'll look into the future and speculate about new ways of thinking and new technologies that might make possible a new economy focused on the human being. This is no easy undertaking. The economic world is not only complex, but also enormous. At each way station of our journey, we have tried to translate into graphic form a broad spectrum of terms, contexts, concepts, and facts that seem essential to us. At many points we had to make decisions and accept trade-offs. The Global Economy as You've Never Seen It cannot, therefore, claim to be comprehensive--like an atlas that fully maps out Earth. Instead, the aim of our book is to arouse curiosity about intellectual terrain that is worth further exploration, not only because this territory is home to so many fascinating stories that have excited us--a journalist and a graphic designer--for two decades; but because, above all, economics connects everyone around the world. And that's precisely why it's so important to understand the global economy, and to see it as you've never seen it before."--Introduction.
- 9781615195176 (hardcover)
- "Originally published in Germany as Wirtschaft Verstehen by Ullstein Buchverlage in 2016"--Title page verso.
"99 ingenious infographics that put it all together"--Cover.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 201-203) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 26056243