Aesthetics of religion [electronic resource] : a connective concept / edited by Alexandra K. Grieser and Jay Johnston
- Berlin : De Gruyter, 
- Physical Description:
- xi, 497 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Grieser, Alexandra, 1965- and Johnston, Jay
- Religion and reason, 0080-0848 ; Band 58
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- What is an aesthetics of religion? : from the senses to meaning--and back again / Alexandra Grieser and Jay Johnston -- Part I. Fields and topics -- Grasping the formless in stones: the petromorphic gods of the Hindu Pañcāyatanapūjā / Mikael Aktor -- Religion, literature, and the aesthetics of expressionism / John T. Hamilton and Almut-Barbara Renger -- Screening the father of lights : documentary film and the aesthetics of the nonfictional in contemporary religion / Adrian Hermann -- The literary aesthetics of religious narratives : probing literary-aesthetic form, emotion, and sensory effects in Exodus 7-11 / Laura Feldt -- Part II. History and politics -- Below the horizon of meaning : figuration, disfiguration, transfiguration / Niklaus Largier -- The performative knowledge of ecstasy : Jane E. Harrison's (1850-1928) early contestations of the textual paradigm in religious studies / Ulrike Brunotte -- What does a reformed city look like? : changes in visible religion during the Reformation in Bremen / Christoph Auffarth -- Standing, not walking : the hieratic as a key term of an anthropologically based aesthetics of religion / Hubert Mohr -- Part III. Comparison and transfer -- Blue brains : aesthetic ideologies and the formation of knowledge between religion and science / Alexandra Grieser -- Aesthetic dimensions and transformative dynamics of mimetic acts : the veneration of Habib-i Neccar among Muslims and Christians in Antakya, Turkey / Jens Kreinath -- Aestheticisation and the production of (religious) space in Chennai / Maruška Svašek -- Moving religion by sound : on the effectiveness of the Nāda-Brahman in India and modern Europe / Annette Wilke -- Part IV. Concepts and theories -- Esoteric aesthetics : the spiritual matter of intersubjective encounter / Jay Johnston -- Aesthetics of immersion : collective effervescence, bodily synchronisation and the sensory navigation of the sacred / Sebastian Schüler -- The governance of aesthetic subjects through body knowledge and affect economies : a cognitive-aesthetic approach / Anne Koch -- Religion in the flesh : non-reductive materialism and the ecological aesthetics of religion / Manuel A. Vásquez -- Part V. In conversation : essays about the connectivity of an aesthetics of religion -- Subjects and sense-making / Fred Cummins -- Consumer culture and the sensory remodelling of religion / François Gauthier -- Social aesthetics, atmosphere and proprioception / Frank Heidermann -- Semiotics and aesthetics : historical and structural connections / Robert Yelle -- The artificiality of aesthetics : making connections on the Erie Canal / S. Brent Plate.
- 9783110458756 (hardbound), 3110458756 (hardbound), 9783110461015 (PDF), 3110461013 (PDF), 9783110460452 (ePub), and 3110460459 (ePub)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 26063770