A companion to American indie film [electronic resource] / edited by Geoff King
- Chichester, West Sussex ; Malden, MA : John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2017.
- Physical Description:
- pages cm
- Additional Creators:
- King, Geoff, 1960-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: what indie isn't: mapping the indie field / Geoff King -- Indie culture. Indie film as indie culture / Michael Z. Newman -- The making of the indie scene: the cultural production of a field of cultural production / Sherry B. Ortner -- Indie as organic: tracing discursive roots / Geoff King -- Indie and other media. Quirky culture: tone, sensibility, and structure of feeling / James Macdowell -- Independent intersections: indie music cultures and American indie cinema / Jamie Sexton -- Post-cinema Soderbergh / Mark Gallagher -- Criticism, marketing and positioning indie. Structuring indie and Beasts of the southern wild: the role of review journalism / Erin Pearson -- Marketing American indie in the shadow of Hollywood / Finola Kerrigan -- Movements/moments. Proto-indie: 1960s "half-way" cinema / Janet Staiger -- From independence to indie: the independent feature project and the complex relationship between American independent cinema and Hollywood in the 1980s / Yannis Tzioumakis -- Going mainstream: the indie film movement in 1999 / Thomas Schatz -- Looking through a rearview mirror: mumblecore as past tense / J.J. Murphy -- Indie as regional. The pull of place: regional indie film production / Mary P. Erickson -- Rural crimewave: reconfiguring regional spaces through genre in US indie cinema / John Berra -- Aesthetics and politics. Life during wartime: emotionalism, capitalist realism and middle class indie identity / Claire Perkins -- Indie cinema and the neoliberal commodification of creative labour: rethinking the indie sensibility of Christopher Nolan / Claire Molloy -- They believe every fuckin' word because you're super cool?: masculine cool '90s style in Reservoir dogs / Stella Bruzzi -- The craft of independent filmmaking: editing in John Sayles' Return of the Secaucus seven and Baby it's you / Warren Buckland -- Kickstarting indie. Crowdfunding, independence, authorship / Chuck Tryon -- Go digital or go dark: crowdfunding, independent financing and art house exhibition on kickstarter / Sarah E.S. Sinwell -- Indie acting and stardom. Casing indie acting / Chris Holmlund -- Flexible stardom: contemporary American film and the independent mobility of star brands / Paul McDonald.
- 9781118758328 (cloth) and 9781118758083 (epub)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 26072442