Western North Atlantic Palaeogene and Cretaceous palaeoceanography [electronic resource] / edited by Dick Kroon, R.D. Norris and A. Klaus
- London : Geological Society, 2001.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (319 pages) : illustrations, maps
- Additional Creators:
- Kroon, Dick, Norris, Richard DeWitt, Klaus, A. (Adam), and Geological Society of London
- Geological Society special publication ; no. 183
- Palaeogene and Cretaceous palaeoceanography has been the focus of intense international interest in the last few years, spurred by deep ocean drilling at Blake Nose in the North Atlantic as well as the need to use past climate change as input for modelling future climate change. This book brings together a number of review papers that describe ancient oceans and unique events in the Earth's climatic history and evolution of biota. The papers show evidence of periods characterized by exceptional global warmth such as the Late Palaeocene Thermal Maximum and Cretaceous anoxic events. Geochemical records and modelling will make the reader aware that these periods were forced by greenhouse gases.
- 9781862397668 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 26100052