Virgil [electronic resource] / R. Alden Smith
- Smith, R. Alden
- Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- x, 210 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Blackwell introductions to the classical world
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: Preface. -- List of Illustrations and Abbreviation. -- 1. Generalizing about Virgil: Dialogue, Wisdom, Mission. -- 2. Publius Vergilius Maro: A Preamble. -- 3. Eclogue Dialogues. -- 4.The Georgics: A Repast of Wisdom. -- 5. The Aeneid: Mission and Telos. -- 6. Virgilian Manuscripts: Codex to Critical Edition. -- 7. The Virgilian Legacy. -- 8. Further Reading. -- Index.
- "Virgil offers undergraduates, graduate students and general readers a comprehensive and carefully balanced introduction to the works and literary reception of Virgil. Offers a fresh, comprehensive introduction to Virgil in translation. Explores the historical context in which Virgil wrote and lived. Discusses the manuscript tradition of Virgil. Traces the poet's literary influence on later authors and his impact on the arts. Includes suggestions for further readings"--
"Incorporating the most up-to-date classical scholarship, Virgilian scholar R. Alden Smith presents a comprehensive introduction to Virgil's literary works and narrative technique. In addition to exploring the historical context within which Virgil wrote, Smith considers the literary reception of Virgil's works and reveals how they have been reshaped in art, literature, and film. While focusing on the major works -- the Eclogues, Georgics, and his great national epic of Rome, the Aeneid -- the entire Virgilian corpus is considered. Other topics include manuscript tradition, problems associated with establishment of the text, and Virgil's influence on the poetry of Ovid, Dante, Milton, and the importance of Virgil to the arts, including painting, the plastic arts, and film. Combining scholarly rigor and an accessible writing style, this book offers an insightful introduction to the world of Virgil"--
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 26128876