Zealots for souls [electronic resource] : dominican narratives of self-understanding during observant reforms, c. 1388-1517 / Anne Huijbers
- Huijbers, Anne
- Berlin : De Gruyter, 
- Physical Description:
- ix, 388 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Quellen und Forschungen zur Geschichte des Dominikanerordens ; neue Folge, 0942-4059 ; Band 22
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Zealots for souls draws attention to the impact of the Observant reforms within the Order of Preachers, and ambitiously stirs up a broad scope of questions pertaining to the institutional narratives produced within the order between c. 1388 and 1517. Through the narratives and the forms of remembrance they fostered, the author traces the development of contemporary characteristics of the Dominican self-understanding. The book shows the fluid boundaries between the genres (order chronicles, convent chronicles, collective biographies), highlights the interplay between the narrative and the intended audience, addresses the complex question of authorship, and assesses the indebtedness of 'modern' (printed) narratives to older chronicles or biographical collections.
- 3110495252, 9783110495256 hardback, 9783110540291 PDF, 9783110540024 EPUB, 3110540290 PDF, and 3110540029 EPUB
- Based on a dissertation at Radboud University, Nijmegen in 2016
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes
View MARC record | catkey: 26131239