London 1938 : defending 'degenerate' art = Mit Kandinsky, Liebermann und Nolde gegen Hitler / herausgegeben von/edited by Lucy Wasensteiner, Martin Faass ; mit Beiträgen von/with contributions by Richard Calvocoressi [and ten others].
- Additional Titles:
- Defending 'degenerate' art, Mit Kandinsky, Liebermann und Nolde gegen Hitler, and London 1938 : mit Kandinsky, Liebermann und Nolde gegen Hitler
- Wädenswil am Zürichsee, Schweiz : Nimbus, 2018.
- Erste Auflage.
- Physical Description:
- 264 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), facsimiles, portraits ; 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Wasensteiner, Lucy, Faass, Martin, Calvocoressi, Richard, Wiener Library, and Liebermann-Villa am Wannsee (Berlin, Germany)
- Language Note:
- Text in English and German.
- Against the background of acute political tensions a great exhibition of modern German art was shown in London in the summer of 1938: Twentieth Century German Art. It was not only the first major retrospective of German modernist art in the English-speaking world. It was also the first international response to the Nazi campaign against so-called 'degenerate art'. Published to mark the eightieth anniversary of this important cultural event, this catalogue tells the story of the exhibition: the context in which it was staged, the circumstances of its organisation, and its impact in Britain and further afield. The catalogue accompanies two exhibitions taking place during 2018, at the Wiener Library in London and at the Liebermann-Villa am Wannsee in Berlin. Exhibition: The Wiener Library, London, UK (13.06 - 14.09.2018) / Liebermann-Villa am Wannsee, Berlin, Germany (07.10.2018 - 14.01.2019).
- Twentieth Century German Art (1938 : London, England)—Exhibitions
- Entartete Kunst—Exhibitions
- National socialism and art—Exhibitions
- Art—Political aspects—England—History—20th century—Exhibitions
- Art, German—20th century—Appreciation—England—Exhibitions
- Art—Political aspects
- Entartete Kunst
- National socialism and art
- 9783038500490 hardcover
- Related Titles:
- London 1938
London 1938. German
- Catalog of an exhibition held at the Wiener Library for the Study of the Holocaust & Genocide, London, June 13-September 14, 2018, and at Liebermann-Villa am Wannsee, Berlin, October 7, 2018-January 14, 2019.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 26403101