Kingdom of lies : unnerving adventures in the world of cybercrime / Kate Fazzini
- Fazzini, Kate
- New York : St. Martin's Press, 2019.
- First international edition.
First US edition.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 240 pages ; 25 cm
- Before: The swallows -- Preface: Kingdom of lies -- The futurethreat -- The charlatan -- The wall -- The baby -- The Italians -- The gig economy --The tryout -- The father -- The teenager -- The medium -- The lovers -- The researcher -- The volunteers -- The mother -- The ghost -- The recruiters -- The insider threat -- The terrorist -- The long trip -- The reason -- The Spaniard -- The project manager -- The reporter --Epilogue: We didn't start the fire -- Appendix A: A glossary of cyberterms -- Appendix B: Epilogue explained.
- "The crime you'll never see coming. The people you'll never forget. A nineteen-year-old Romanian student stumbles into a criminal ransomware ring in her village. Soon she is extorting Silicon Valley billionaires for millions. A veteran cybersecurity specialist has built a deep network of top-notch hackers in one of the world's largest banks. But then the bank brings in a cadre of ex-military personnel to "help." A cynical Russian only leaves his tiny New Jersey apartment to hack sports cars at a high-performance shop in Newark. But he opens his door to a reporter who needs his help. A hotel doorman in Shanghai once served in the People's Army, stealing intellectual property from American companies. Now he uses his skills to build up a private side-venture selling the data he takes from business travelers. They all come together in a tangled web connecting small-time criminals, multi-billion-dollar corporations, and global superpowers. In [this book], cyber-security-professional-turned-journalist Kate Fazzini takes you into the room with the hackers, thieves, con artists, and heroes who are making history in the shadows."--Dust jacket.
- 9781250201348 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -225) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 26452385