Patriots, royalists, and terrorists in the West Indies : the French Revolution in Martinique and Guadeloupe, 1789-1802 / William S. Cormack
- Cormack, William S.
- Toronto ; Buffalo : University of Toronto Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- x, 390 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Machine generated contents note: 1.The Windward Islands on the Eve of Revolution -- 2.Rumours of Revolution: The Impact of 1789 in Martinique and Guadeloupe -- 3.Patriots versus Aristocrats: The Coming of Civil War, 1789-1790 -- 4."The Nation, the Law, the King": The Liberal Revolution's Failure in the Windward Islands, 1791 -- 5.Counter-Revolution: The Revolt of Martinique and Guadeloupe, 1792-1793 -- 6.The Slave-Holding Republic in the Windward Islands, 1793-1794 -- 7.Reign of Terror: Victor Hugues's Regime in Guadeloupe, 1794-1798 -- 8.Return of the Old Regime: Martinique under British Occupation, 1794-1802.
- "Patriots, Royalists, and Terrorists in the West Indies examines the complex revolutionary struggle in Martinique and Guadeloupe from 1789 to 1802. The arrival of tricolor cockades - a badge symbol of the French Revolution - and news from Paris in 1789 undermined the royal governors' authority, unleashed bitter conflict between white factions, and encouraged the aspirations of free people of color to equality and black slaves to freedom. This book provides a detailed narrative of the shifting political developments, and analyses the roles of planter resentment of metropolitan control, social and racial tensions, and the ambiguity of revolutionary principles in a colonial setting. Recent scholarship has tended to over-emphasize the colonies' agency, and to accentuate the conflict between masters and slaves, while downplaying metropolitan influences. In contrast, this study seeks to restore the importance of destabilizing political struggles between white factions. It argues that metropolitan news, ideas, language, and political culture: the "revolutionary script" from France; played a key role in shaping the revolution in the colonies." --Provided by publisher.
- 9781487503956 (hardcover) and 1487503954 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -375) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 26452688