- The evolution of modern philosophy
- Descartes: metaphysics in the service of science -- Spinoza: metaphysics in the service of ethics -- Leibniz: metaphysics in the service of theodicy -- Hume: metaphysics committed to the flames? -- Kant: the possibility, scope, and limits of metaphysics -- Fichte: transcendentalism versus naturalism -- Hegel: transcendentalism-cum-naturalism; or, absolute idealism -- Frege: sense under scrutiny -- The early Wittgenstein: the possibility, scope, and limits of sense; or, sense, senselessness, and nonsense -- The later Wittgenstein: bringing words back from their metaphysical to their everyday use -- Carnap: the elimination of metaphysics? -- Quine: the ne plus ultra of naturalism -- Lewis: metaphysics in the service of philosophy -- Dummett: the logical basis of metaphysics -- Nietzsche: sense under scrutiny again -- Bergson: metaphysics as pure creativity -- Husserl: making sense of making sense; or, the ne plus ultra of transcendentalism -- Heidegger: letting being be -- Collingwood: metaphysics as history -- Derrida: metaphysics deconstructed? -- Deleuze: something completely different.
- This book examines the history and evolution of metaphysics and also discusses how leading philosophers since Descartes have viewed metaphysics.
- 9780521851114 (hardback)
- Critical Philosophy of Race.
- Rare Books copy: From the library of Michael Dummett.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 607-650) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Purchased with funds from the Hastings Libraries Endowment; 2014.
Rare Books copy: Purchased from Ruddi Thoemmes Rare Books; 2014.
- Related Materials:
- Michael Dummett papers, 1956-2012, bulk 1982-2006 (9526) housed at Pennsylvania State University Libraries' Eberly Family Special Collections Library. https://libraries.psu.edu/findingaids/9526.htm
Ann Dummett papers, 1966-2012, bulk 1976-2012 (9466) housed at Pennsylvania State University Libraries' Eberly Family Special Collections Library. https://libraries.psu.edu/findingaids/9466.htm
View MARC record | catkey: 26474229