Searching for the New Black Man [electronic resource] : Black Masculinity and Women's Bodies / Ronda C. Henry Anthony
- Henry Anthony, Ronda C.
- Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, 2013.
Baltimore, Md. : Project MUSE, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 192 pages ).
- Additional Creators:
- Project Muse
- Margaret Walker Alexander Series in African American Studies
- Introduction: Searching for the "new black man"?: from masculine ideality to progressive black masculinities -- Dominant versus subordinate masculinities and the gendered oppositions between slavery and freedom -- Unsexing the black girl to get to the indian princess: the production of talented-tenth black masculine power and the cleansing and transcending of black (wo)manhood in W. E. B. Du Bois -- "What's love got to do with it?": James Baldwin, cross-racial/sexual bond(age)ing, and the cult of hegemonic black masculinity -- Breakin' the rules: Socrates, Fortlow, ethics, and Walter Mosley's constructions of progressive black masculinities -- Barack Obama's Dreams From My Father, the economies of respectable black manhood and leadership, and the politics of collaboratively gendered black male feminist autobiography.
9781617037344 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 26479612