Tourism in Cuba : casinos, Castros, and challenges / by Tony L. Henthorne
- Henthorne, Tony L., 1957-
- Bingley : Emerald Publishing Limited, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 142 pages : illustrations, maps, charts ; 24 cm
- List of Figures; List of Tables; List of Maps; List of Photographs; Preface; Part I: Casinos; Chapter 1 The First Tourists; 1.1. Cuba: The Early Years; 1.2. The "Golden Age of Cuban Tourism"; Chapter 2 An Era of Decadence; 2.1. Batista: Act I; 2.2. Batista: Act II; 2.2.1. The Rise of Meyer Lansky; 2.3. The Makings of a Revolution; Part II: Castros; Chapter 3 The Revolution and Tourism; 3.1. New Year's Day 1959; 3.2. The Tide Begins to Turn.
3.3. A Look Inside 3.4. The Soviets and a Rebirth (of Sorts) for Tourism; Chapter 4 The Special Period, Part 1 (1990-1995); Chapter 5 The Special Period, Part 2 (1995-2005); Chapter 6 Cuban Thaw; 6.1. Rapprochement; Part 3: Challenges; Chapter 7 A New Political and Economic Environment; 7.1. New Players in the Game; 7.2. The Political Possibilities; 7.2.1. Donald Trump: Throwing Open the Door and Welcoming Cuba; 7.2.2. Donald Trump: Slamming the Door in Cuba's Face; 7.2.3. Miguel Diaz-Canel: Opening the Door and Inviting the United States to Enter.
7.2.4. Miguel Diaz-Canel: Latching Closed the Door to the United States7.3. What's Old Is New Again: Cuba's New Suitors; 7.3.1. The Case for Russia; 7.3.2. The Case for China; Chapter 8 Challenges Old and New; 8.1. Economic and Service Realities; 8.2. Dual Currency; 8.3. Foreign Investment Opportunities and Challenges; Chapter 9 Where to From Here?; 9.1. All-Inclusive Resorts; 9.2. Cruise Tourism; 9.3. Traditional Free and Independent Traveler; 9.4. Historic and Heritage Tourism; 9.5. Ecotourism; 9.6. Health Tourism; 9.7. Casino Gaming; Appendix; References; Index.
- From the Flapper Erato Batista, Cuba strove to position itself as America's Caribbean playground, but Castro'sRevolution put an end to that. Now, the ""Cuban Thaw"" promises US travelers areturn to the island. This book explores the history anddevelopment of tourism in Cuba and provides insight on what it was, what it is, and what it may be.
- 9781787439030 (hardcover)
View MARC record | catkey: 26513546