Argumentum anti-Normannicum, or, An argument proving, from ancient histories and records, that William, Duke of Normandy, made no absolute conquest of England by the sword, in the sense of our modern writers being an answer to these four questions ... [microform].
- London : Printed by John Darby, 1682.
- Physical Description:
- 10 unnumbered pages, clxiv pages, 1 unnumbered leaf of plates : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Atwood, William, -1705?
Coke, Edward, Sir, 1552-1634
Cooke, Edward, of the Middle Temple
Johnson, Samuel, 1649-1703
Petyt, William, 1636-1707
- (from t.p.) I. Whether William the First made an absolute conquest of this nation at his first entrance? -- II. Whether he cancelled and abolished all the Confessor's laws? -- III. Whether he divided all our estates and fortunes between himself and his nobles? -- IV. Whether it be not a grand error to affirm that there were no English-men in the common council of the whole kingdom?
- Related Titles:
- Argument proving, from ancient histories and records, that William, Duke of Normandy, made no absolute conquest of England
- "This publication, occasioned by a work of William Pettyt's, entitled Antient rights of the commons of England, 1680, was answered by Brady in his Introduction to old English history. It is by some attributed to Atwood, and by others to Cooke or Johnson." cf. Lowndes. Has also been attributed to Petyt and to Sir Edward Coke.
Identified on UMI microfilm and reel guide as variant of C4907 (number cancelled in Wing 2nd ed.).
Reproduction of original in the Huntington Library.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other Forms:
- Available electronically as part of Early English books online.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : University Microfilms, 1981. 1 microfilm reel. 35 mm. (Early English books, 1641-1700 ; 1185:4)
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700, C5998B
View MARC record | catkey: 2665999