Eikōn basilikē [microform] : the pourtracture of His Sacred Majestie in his solitudes and sufferings
- Gauden, John, 1605-1662
- Additional Titles:
- Eikôn basilikê, Pourtracture of His Sacred Majestie in his solitudes and sufferings, and Perfect copie of prayers used by His Majestie in the time of his sufferings
- [London] : [printed by William Bentley], [paragraph] Printed anno Domini 1648 [i.e. 1649]
- Physical Description:
- 4 unnumbered pages, 225 pages, 3 unnumbered pages, 6 pages, 4 unnumbered pages, 1 unnumbered plate (folded)
- Additional Creators:
- Charles I, King of England, 1600-1649 and Williams, John, -1683
- First two words of title in Greek characters.
Authorship of the Eikon basilike was originally attributed to Charles I, but according to Madan (pp. 125-33) it was written by John Gauden who probably included some authentic writings of the king.
Place of publication from Wing; printer's name from Madan who suggests that it was printed "probably for John Williams" (cf. Madan, p. 25); imprint date given according to Lady Day dating.
Signatures: A-K¹² (-K12), , [paragraph]⁶.
The "Prayers" have separate pagination and register, with "An epitaph" on verso of final leaf, repeated on verso of the "Eikôn" title page.
Described by Madan as the third state of the "16th edition".
Reproduction of the original in the Bodleian Library, Oxford.
- Other Forms:
- Available electronically as part of Early English books online.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1993. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (Early English books, 1641-1700 ; 2169:04).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed. 1994), E288
Madan, F.F. New bibl. of the Eikon basilike 16 (3d issue)
View MARC record | catkey: 2677518