An Education in 'Evil' [electronic resource] : Implications for Curriculum, Pedagogy, and Beyond / by Cathryn van Kessel
- van Kessel, Cathryn
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Palgrave Macmillan, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- XIV, 155 pages 1 illustration : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- Palgrave Studies in Educational Futures
- 1. Introduction -- 2. Evil is in the Eye of the Beholder -- 3. Banal Evil and Social Studies Education -- 4. Processes of Evil as a Supplement to Citizenship Education -- 5. The Politics of Evil -- 6. Symbolic Evil and the Schooling System -- 7. Evil, Existential Terror, and Classroom Climate -- 8. Epilogue.-.
- This book asserts that engaging with divergent understandings about the nature of evil and how it functions can help those interested in education think through issues in curriculum, pedagogy, and beyond. The author provokes thinking about and through the concept of evil in the spirit of thoughtful education (as opposed to thoughtless schooling) toward how we might live together in less harmful ways. Although thinking about evil can be uncomfortable and troubling, such inquiries help us explore what sort of relations we want to have with others. Analyzing our role in evil as humans, as well as our responsibilities to counter the processes of evil present in our everyday lives, opens up a potential to foster radical thought in and out of the classroom.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 26777316