The happiness fantasy / Carl Cederström
- Cederström, Carl, 1980-
- Cambridge, UK ; Medford, MA : Polity Press, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 167 pages ; 22 cm
- Introduction -- In bed with Wilhelm Reich -- Compulsory narcissism -- Happiness Inc. -- Getting high on happiness -- Pleasuring men -- Conclusion : happiness after Trump -- Notes.
- In this devastatingly witty new book, Carl Cederström traces our present-day conception of happiness from its roots in early-twentieth-century European psychiatry, to the Beat generation, to Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump. He argues that happiness is now defined by a desire to be "authentic", to experience physical pleasure, and to cultivate a quirky individuality. But over the last fifty years, these once-revolutionary ideas have been co-opted by corporations and advertisers, pushing us to live lives that are increasingly unfulfilling, insecure and narcissistic.
- 9781509523801 hardcover, 1509523804 hardcover, 9781509523818 paperback, and 1509523812 paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 26778628