Early development and leadership [electronic resource] : building the next generation of leaders / edited by Susan Elaine Murphy, Rebecca J. Reichard
- New York : Routledge, 
- Physical Description:
- xliv, 342 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Murphy, Susan E. and Reichard, Rebecca J.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Providing a foundation for leadership development / Susan Elaine Murphy -- Preschool leaders in the early childhood classroom / Susan L. Recchia -- Examining the genetic basis of leadership / Richard Arvey, Sankalp Chaturvedi -- Paths from gifted motivation to leadership / A. Gottfried, A. Gottfried -- Participation in sport and leader development / Packianathan Chelladurai -- The development of "leaders in everyday life" : an attachment perspective / Micha Popper -- Early interdependent attachments : the power of a secure base / David A. Mack ... [et al.] -- I am my mother's daughter : early developmental influences on leadership / Nancy J. Adler -- Beginnings matter in genuine leadership development / Bruce J. Avolio, Gretchen R. Vogelgesang -- Gender and leadership development : a case of female leaders / Crystal L. Hoyt, Stefanie K. Johnson -- Leadership skill development and divergence : a model for the early effects of gender and race on leadership development / Robert G. Lord, Rosalie J. Hall, Stanley M. Halpin -- Positioning future leaders on the good work track / Howard Gardner, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi -- College student leadership identity development / Susan R. Komives -- The purpose of college education : producing a new generation of positive leaders / Robert J. Sternberg -- Developing the next generation of leaders : research, policy, and practice / Rebecca J. Reichard, Susan J. Paik.
- Today we often look to our leaders in business, government, or the social sector, to make effective decisions in a complex world. Whether they are asked what steps to take to improve competitiveness in a global economy or to make tough ethical choices, well-trained leaders are critical to organizational effectiveness. Although we know much about leadership development for individuals after they take their first job, we know relatively little about their earlier experiences that contributed to their interest in leadership or subsequent effectiveness as leaders. This volume brings together researchers who explore leadership at different points before individuals enter the workforce and asks important questions surrounding definitions of leadership behavior, necessary leader skills and age-related leader tasks, factors contributing to development of leader identity, and ways to improve the process of leader development. With contributions from well-known leadership researchers such as Robert Sternberg, Howard Gardner, Bruce Avolio, and Susan Komives, the volume shows research evidence for factors such as early childhood and youth experiences on leadership development, which have implications for the way we understand and train leadership in today's organizations. --- Product Description.
- 9781848728240 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1848728247 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 26784853