Towards gender equity in development [electronic resource] / edited by Siwan Anderson, Lori Beaman, and Jean-Philippe Platteau
- UNU-WIDER studies in development economics
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Marital trajectories and women's wellbeing in Senegal / Sylvie Lambert, Dominique van de Walle, and Paola Villar -- Making marriages last: trust is good, but credible information is better / Rebecca L. Thornton and Hans-Peter Kohler -- Intra-household bargaining in poor countries / Jean-Marie Baland and Roberta Ziparo -- Forced migration and attitudes towards domestic violence: Evidence from Turkey / Selim Gulesci -- Bride price and the wellbeing of women / Sara Lowes and Nathan Nunn -- Reducing early pregnancy in low-income countries: A literature review and new evidence / Lars Ivar Oppedal Berge, Kjetil Bjorvatn, Amina Mohamed Maalim, Vincent Somville, and Bertil Tungodden -- Breaking the metal ceiling: Female entrepreneurs who succeed in male-dominated sectors / Francisco Campos, Markus Goldstein, Laura McGorman, Ana Maria Munoz Boudet, and Obert Pimhidzai -- Career dynamics and gender gaps among employees in the microfinance sector / Ina Ganguli, Ricardo Hausmann, and Martina Viarengo -- Why do women co-operate more in women's groups? / James Fearon and Macartan Humphreys -- The impact of social mobilization on health service delivery and health outcomes: Evidence from rural Pakistan / Xavier Gine, Salma Khalid, and Ghazala Mansuri -- Governance and the reversal of women's rights: The case of abortion in El Salvador / Jocelyn Viterna, Jose Santos Guardado Bautista, Silvia Ivette Juarez Barrios, and Alba Evelyn Cortez -- Gender, Islam, and law / John R. Bowen -- The effect of China's One Child Policy on sex selection, family size, and the school enrolment of daughters / Nancy Qian -- Eradicating women-hurting customs: What role for social engineering? / Jean-Philippe Platteau, Giulia Camilotti, and Emmanuelle Auriol -- Are caste categories misleading? The relationship between gender and jati in three Indian states / Shareen Joshi, Nishtha Kochhar, and Vijayendra Rao -- Excess female mortality in Africa / Siwan Anderson and Debraj Ray.
- "As a result of widespread mistreatment and overt discrimination, women in the developing world often lack autonomy. Towards Gender Equity in Development brings together leading scholars working on gender issues to explore key sources of female empowerment and discuss the current challenges and opportunities for the future. Exploring three key domains, this book adopts a clear multi-disciplinary approach to present different perspectives from gender-focused economics and social research. It covers marriage and women's relative bargaining position within the household; the options available to women outside of marriage and in the context of their community; and overarching discriminatory laws and cultural norms. It engages with questions of how marriage, divorce, and remarriage practices have evolved and with what effects for women; how female empowerment can benefit from improving options and economic and collective action opportunities; and how the government can act as a lawmaker to contribute to modifying norms and practices that disadvantage women"--Publisher's description.
- "A study prepared by the United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 26794082