Compression vs. expression : containing and explaining the world's art / edited by John Onians
- Conference Author:
- Clark Conference (2000 : Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute)
- Additional Titles:
- Compression versus expression
- Williamstown, Mass. : Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 
New Haven : Distributed by Yale University Press.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xi, 252 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Onians, John, 1942-
Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
- Clark studies in the visual arts
- The museum dilemma: conservation vs. interpretation / Edmund P. Pillsbury -- Displaced objects on display / Yves Le Fur -- Objects and exhibits-mutating identities: the case of India / Jyotindra Jain -- Around the fourth world in seventy days: art history and the colonized other / Cecelia F. Klein -- Shaking off the shackles: from apartheid to African Renaissance in the history of art syllabi / Anitra Nettleton -- Per non lasciar queste carte vote / Michael Rinehart -- Museum publications: history, bibliography, iconography / Dominic Marner -- Legal conventions and the construction of heritage / Derek Gillman -- World heritage, art, and economics: the world heritage convention in the light of economic theory / Geroges S. Zouain -- Cultural perspectives in a multicultural world: the world bank invests in historic urban enclaves / Arlene K. Fleming -- Eternal Mexico: between nationalism and globalization / Rita Eder -- Anxiety and expedience: Chinese art history seen in the context of world art / Cao Yiqiang -- World aesthetics: biology, culture, and reflection / Wilfried van Damme -- Writing about modernist painting outside western Europe and North America / James Elkins -- World art history and the rise of western modernism, or, goodbye to the visual arts / David Summers -- A brief natural history of art / John Onians.
- 0931102677 (Clark : pbk. : alk. paper)
9780931102677 (Clark : pbk. : alk. paper)
- Based on the proceedings of the Clark Conference "Compression vs. Expression : Containing and Explaining the World's Art," held 6-8 April 2000 at the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Mass.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 2686959