Somalia--the untold story : the war through the eyes of Somali women / edited by Judith Gardner and Judy El Bushra
- Additional Titles:
- War through the eyes of Somali women
- London : CIIR ; London ; Sterling, Va. : Pluto Press, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 257 pages : illustrations, map ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Gardner, Judith and El-Bushra, Judy
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Pt. 1. Women's experiences of the war: Women's role in the pastoral economy / Rhoda M. Ibrahim -- Testimony / Habiba Osman -- Traditions of marriage and the household / Sadia Musse Ahmed -- Testimony / Amina Sayid -- War crimes against women and girls / Fowzia Musse -- Pt. 2. Women's responses to the war: Section 1: Changing roles and responsibilities in the family. Domestic conflict in the diaspora / Ladan Affi --Crisis or opportunity? / Amina Mohamoud Warsame -- Testimony / Halimo Elmi Section 2. Women mobilise for peace. Women and peace-making in Somaliland / Zeynab Mohamed Hassan and Shukri Hariir Ismail, et al -- Women, clan identity and peace-building / Judith Gardner with Amina Mohamoud Warsame -- Women's roles in peace-making in the Somali community in north eastern Kenya / Dekha Ibrahim. Section 3. Women's rights, leadership and political empowerment. Testimony / Dahabo Isse -- Post-war recovery and participation / Testimony /Noreen Michael Mariano -- Starlin Abdi Arush, a tribute.
- 0745322093 and 0745322085 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2699622