More sayings of the Desert Fathers : an English translation and notes / edited by John Wortley, University of Manitoba, Canada ; with preface by Samuel Rubenson, Lunds Universitet, Sweden
- Uniform Title:
- Apophthegmata Patrum. Selections. English
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- xix, 196 pages ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Wortley, John, Rubenson, Samuel, Kitchen, Robert A., Thomson, Robert W., 1934-2018, Vivian, Tim, and Witakowski, Witold
- Sayings preserved in Greek / John Wortley -- Sayings preserved in Latin / John Wortley -- Sayings preserved in Syriac / Robert Kitchen -- Sayings preserved in Armenian / Robert W. Thomson -- Sayings preserved in Coptic / Tim Vivian -- Sayings preserved in Ethiopic (Ge'ez) / Witold Witakowski.
- Most of the Tales and Sayings of the Desert Fathers (Apophthegms) have survived in Greek and most of them are now available in English, almost 2500 in number. A further six hundred items in six languages have been available in French for some time, but often in second- and even third-hand translations. These have now been newly translated directly from the original languages by scholars skilled in those languages and are presented, alongside an Introduction and brief notes, to the English reader who wishes to know more of those men and some women who rejected 'the world' and went to live in the desert regions of Egypt and elsewhere in the fourth to seventh centuries.
- 9781108471084 alkaline paper and 1108471080 alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27041572