Journal : manuscript, fair copy / composed and written by S.D. Rickey
- Rickey, S. D. (Samuel D.)
- Pennsylvania, 1860-1861.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (160 pages) ; 24 x 20 cm
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Material is open for research.
- Fair-copy diary, with decorated first-day-of-month dates and marginal notes summarizing the day's events or weather reports on some entries. News clippings inserted, detailing events at which Rickey gave speeches. Page 1 includes heading "Introduction by the author," but without any text following. Page 1 also embossed with notary stamp for Washington County, PA. Includes descriptions of Western Pennsylvania, including descriptions of local military installations prior to the Civil War, politics (including the Lincoln election), religion, reports on a visit to a phrenologist, and other events.
- Title from title page.
Place and date of production recorded on title page as: "Washington--Penna 1860."
Entries dated Sunday, April 1, 1860 through Wednesday, November 14, 1860, which Rickey notes is his 20th birthday. Includes a brief entry on the last page dated January 25, 1861.
Written on lined paper.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Purchased with funds from the James Milholland Rare Books Endowment; 2018.
Rare Books copy: Purchased from R. & A. Petrilla Booksellers; 2018.
- Administrative History:
- Samuel D. Rickey was born on November 14, 1840, in Claysville, Pennsylvania. He worked in dry goods stores in Clasville and Washington, Pennsylvania, both located in Washington County.
- Endowment Note:
- James Milholland Rare Books Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 27042667