Seeding Buddhism with multiculturalism : the transmission of Sri Lankan Buddhism in Toronto / D. Mitra Barua
- Barua, D. Mitra, 1976-
- Montreal ; Kingston ; London ; Chicago : McGill-Queen's University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xv, 280 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Advancing studies in religion ; 5
- Introduction : studying the intercultural and intergenerational transmission of Buddhism -- Community formation of the Sri Lankan Buddhists in Toronto -- Dhamma education and the historical construction of Buddhist identities -- An inclusive and harmonious Buddhism : A Buddhist response to multiculturalism in Canada -- The intergenerational and intercultural negotiation of Buddhism -- Growing up as Sri Lankan Canadian Buddhists in Toronto -- Conclusion : making sense of the reconfigured Buddhism in Toronto.
- "Focusing on Sri Lankan Buddhists in Toronto, D. Mitra Barua argues that the Sri Lankan Buddhist tradition, not despite but because of the cultural adaptations to the Canadian context, has maintained its coherence and integrity. Sri Lankan Buddhists have succeeded in transmitting Buddhist beliefs, attitudes and practices onto their Canada-born youth who in turn have reconstructed their own distinct Buddhist identity influenced by the individualistic, egalitarian and secular cultural ambience in Toronto. This observation derives from a comprehensive research comprised of two surveys, over fifty in-depth interviews and fieldwork conducted in Toronto (Canada) and Colombo (Sri Lanka). What makes this study outstanding is its creative fieldwork and translocal analysis. The former displays researcher's simultaneous role of being (in) the field; the latter explains that pre-migration experiences of immigrants often shape and determine the success or failure of intergenerational transmission."--
- Buddhism—Sri Lanka—Colombo
- Sri Lankans—Ontario—Toronto—Religion
- Sri Lankans—Ontario—Toronto—Ethnic identity
- Multiculturalism—Religious aspects—Buddhism
- Intergenerational communication—Religious aspects—Buddhism
- Bouddhisme—Sri Lanka—Colombo
- Sri-Lankais—Ontario—Toronto—Identité ethnique
- Multiculturalisme—Aspect religieux—Bouddhisme
- Communication entre générations—Aspect religieux—Bouddhisme
- Intergenerational communication
- Toronto (Ont.)—Religion
- Sri Lanka—Colombo
- 0773556575 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 255-271) and index.
- Other Forms:
- Issued also in electronic format.
View MARC record | catkey: 27043766