Black Christology and the quest for authenticity : a philosophical appraisal / John H. McClendon III
- McClendon, John H.
- Lanham, Maryland : Lexington Books, 
- Physical Description:
- viii, 209 pages ; 24 cm.
- Philosophy of race
- The African American quest for the historical Jesus and the problem of Black Christology: who was Jesus and what is His relationship to Christianity? -- Black theology and Christianity: the philosophical problem of definition -- The critique of Black theology: Richard I. McKinney and the fundamental elements of Christianity -- Black Messiah as the authentic Christ: alternative biblical myth or real history? -- Whiteness and Christology: why does the racial identity of Jesus theologically matter? -- The color of God and Jesus' divinity: a philosophical assessment.
- Black Christology and the Quest for Authenticity: A Philosophical Appraisal' constitutes a philosophical inquiry on Black Theology and its attendant Black Christology. Explicitly, the philosophical examination of Black Theology conceptually maps its quest for establishing Black Christology as an authentic form within Christian theology. This text critically expounds on the methodologies and arguments, which guide how Black Theology specifically affirms Black Christology as the definitive paradigm for authentic Christianity. Significantly, the racialized character of Black Theology immediately sets this discourse within the context of philosophy of race. Clearly, the philosophy of race in terms of its substance and scope is continually expanding. Notably, the philosophy of religion in its conceptual association with the African American experience considerably enriches the content of the philosophy of race. Therefore, 'Black Christology and the Quest for Authenticity: A Philosophical Appraisal' stands as a unique contribution to philosophy of race.
- 9781498585354 hardcover alkaline paper
1498585353 hardcover alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27047956