Jane Powell letter to Dear sir, 1809
- Powell, Jane, approximately 1761-1831
- Physical Description:
- 1 page
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unrestricted access.
- Jane Powell writes to Dear sir, asking that a bill be sent to her for money owed by Mr. Jack, so that she can pay it, and asking that the transaction remain a secret. On the verso another hand records that the debt was paid 23 Jan. 1809.
- In Rare Books and Manuscripts, University Libraries, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA (#1992-0074R/VF 9-2)
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased from Henry Bristow 1992.
- Administrative History:
- Jane Powell was an English actress based primarily in London. Born in Kent and raised by her father, an Army sergeant, the colorful anecdotes related about her mysterious and undocumented youth suggest distress and disgrace. She eventually became an actress, relying on her strong physical presence, fine voice, and handsome, expressive face in lieu of any training, and became a reliable supporting player capable of leading roles.
View MARC record | catkey: 2704968