The European Union and North Africa : prospects and challenges / edited by Adel Abdel Ghafar
- Washington, DC : Brookings Institution Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 201 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Abdel Ghafar, Adel
- Forward / Canan Atligan -- Introduction : EU-North Africa relations in an age of turbulence / Adel Abdel Ghafar & Anna Jacobs -- Algeria : the EU's real partner or a "tough suburb of a prosperous EU metropolis"? / Dalia Ghanem -- EU-Morocco relations : finding a new balance / Intissar Fakir -- Tunisia and the EU : too close, too far / Youssef Cherif -- Libya-EU relations : prospects and challenges / Arturo Varvelli -- EU-Egypt relations : the delicate balance of economic, security and political interests / Adel Abdel Ghafar -- Conclusion / Adel Abdel Ghafar
- " The ongoing upheaval in North Africa has presented many challenges to Europe, which previously had been comfortable with the status quo of authoritarian leadership in much of the region. Now in its ninth year, the turmoil has forced European leaders to rethink their approaches to the region, based on the now-obvious reality that the brief hopes of early 2011 for the spread of democracy and economic progress will not be fulfilled anytime soon. In this book, experts from Europe, the United States, and the Middle East discuss what has happened since the so-called "Arab Spring" emerged and how those often-bewildering events have affected both North Africa and the European states across the Mediterranean. The book is based on papers presented at a March 2018 conference sponsored by the South Mediterranean Regional Program of the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung. Chapters focus on events in Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia--and offer ideas for how the European Union can adopt fresh approaches to the region, moving beyond its frequently uncertain and shifting responses of recent years." -- Amazon.
- 9780815736950 paperback ; alkaline paper, 0815736959 paperback ; alkaline paper, and 9780815736967 electronic book
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27051115