Acts of God and man [electronic resource] : ruminations on risk and insurance / Michael R. Powers
- Powers, Michael R.
- New York : Columbia Business School Pub., c2012.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 283 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Living with risk -- The alpha and the omega of risk the significance of mortality -- Into the unknown modeling uncertainty -- The shapes of things to come probabilities and parameters -- The value of experience independence and estimation -- It's all in your head bayesian decision making -- The realm of insurance -- Aloofness and quasi-aloofness defining insurance risks -- Trustworthy transfer; probable pooling financing insurance risks -- God-awful guessing and bad behavior solvency and underwriting -- The good, the bad, the role of risk classification -- And the lawyerly liability and government compensation -- Scientific challenges -- What is randomness? knowable and unknowable complexity -- Patterns, real and imagined observation and theory -- False choices and black boxes the costs of limited data -- Nullifying the dull hypothesis conventional versus personalized science -- Games and the mind modeling human behavior.
- 9780231153669 (cloth : alk. paper)
023115366X (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -274) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27056243