Nonnative oysters in the Chesapeake Bay / Committee on Nonnative Oysters in the Chesapeake Bay, Ocean Studies Board, Division on Earth and Life Studies, National Research Council of the National Academies
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xv, 325 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
- Additional Creators:
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Nonnative Oysters in the Chesapeake Bay, United States. Environmental Protection Agency, United States. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (U.S.), Maryland. Department of Natural Resources, Virginia Sea Grant College Program, Virginia. Department of Environmental Quality, Maryland Sea Grant College, and Connecticut Sea Grant College Program
- Executive summary -- Introduction and overview -- Background on introduced species -- Oyster biology -- Social and economic value of oysters in the Chesapeake Bay -- History and current status of restoring native oyster reefs in the Chesapeake Bay -- Oyster aquaculture -- Regulatory framework for managing proposed introductions -- Elements of risk assessment for the introduction of Crassostrea ariakensis in the Chesapeake Bay -- Decision making and recommendations for future research -- References -- Appendixes.
- Oysters—Habitat—Chesapeake Bay (Md. and Va.)
- Oyster fisheries—Chesapeake Bay (Md. and Va.)—Management
- Introduced animals—Chesapeake Bay (Md. and Va.)
- Oyster culture—Chesapeake Bay (Md. and Va.)
- Restoration ecology—Chesapeake Bay (Md. and Va.)
- Fishery policy
- Introduced organisms—Government policy
- Chesapeake Bay (Md. and Va.)—Environmental conditions
- 0309090520 (book)
- "Supported by a contract between the National Academies and the following entities: Contract No. 50-DGNA-1-90024 from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Contract No. 50-DGNA-1-90024 from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Cooperative Agreement No. 50181-2-J030 from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Grant from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, Grant from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Purchase Order No. D227024-4 from the Virginia Sea Grant, Grant No. NA070Z0136-01 from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, Grant No. SA7293808L.SA7528018F from the Maryland Sea Grant, and Purchase Order No. D227024-4 from the Connecticut Sea Grant"--[P. ii.]
Disc contains appendixes D through G from the text.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 249-281).
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the National Academies Press home page.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements for computer disc: Adobe Acrobat Reader; CD-ROM drive.
View MARC record | catkey: 2706971