The Crucified [electronic resource]: Contemporary Passion Plays in Poland
- Baraniecka-Olszewska, Kamila
- Berlin : Walter de Gruyter GmbH Aug. 2017
- Physical Description:
- 268 p. ill 23.000 x 015.500 cm.
- Religion and Society Ser. 72
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Annotation The book is an anthropological study of a phenomenon observed within the range of contemporary Polish Catholic religiosity. The Crucified focuses on two fundamental issues: passion plays and performance theory. It presents an analysis of material collected during five years of field research, which sheds light on the varied world of religious performances. The phenomenon of passion plays is extremely complex and to some extent heterogeneous, hence its in-depth analysis reveals much not only about its own nature, but also about the entire modern religiosity. As a result, the book is constructed in such a way as to focus on a single phenomenon, but with conclusions extending to a much wider range of contemporary religious practices. The book reveals the need for self-expression of one's own attitudes observable in contemporary spirituality, as well as the increasing participation of believers in the development of their religious life and thus in the formation of their own religious identity. All these processes are interpreted in terms of performance theory. Applying this approach makes it possible to capture the believers' need for activity and creativity in the field of practices alternative to the liturgy.
3110539055 (Trade Cloth)
- Interest Grade:
- 17-17 Walter de Gruyter GmbH
- Audience Notes:
- Scholarly & Professional Walter de Gruyter GmbH
View MARC record | catkey: 27073623