Linguistics & biblical exegesis [electronic resource] / edited by Douglas Mangum & Josh Westbury
- Additional Titles:
- Linguistics and biblical exegesis
- Bellingham, WA : Lexham Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 232 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Mangum, Douglas and Westbury, Josh
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction to linguistics and the Bible / Wendy Widder -- Linguistic fundamentals / Wendy Widder -- Language in use / Jeremy Thompson, Wendy Widder -- Language universals, typology, and markedness / Daniel Wilson, Michael Aubrey -- Major approaches to linguistics / Jeremy Thompson, Wendy Widder -- Linguistic issues in biblical Hebrew / Wendy Widder -- Linguistic issues in biblical Greek / Michael Aubrey -- The value of linguistically informed exegesis / Michael Aubrey.
- The Bible was written in ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek--languages no modern reader can claim to have a native understanding of. But by better understanding how language works, we can understand more from the Bible as we seek to discern the original intent and meaning of each biblical author. In Linguistics & Biblical Exegesis, you will get a basic introduction to the field of linguistics--its history, its key concepts, its major schools of thought, and how its insights can shed light on various problems in biblical Hebrew and Greek. Numerous examples illustrate linguistic concepts, and technical terminology is clearly defined. Learn how the study of language can enhance your Bible study. --
- 9781577996644 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 203-221) and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 27103590