The Penobscot dance of resistance : tradition in the history of a people / Pauleena MacDougall
- MacDougall, Pauleena
- Durham, N.H. : University of New Hampshire Press ; Hanover [N.H.] : University Press of New England, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 250 pages : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm.
- Dancing into view : post-World War II political activism -- Land, power, and reverence : core teachings that sustain resistance -- Facing the future : the seventeenth century -- War dance : shifting strategies in the dance of resistance -- Liberties and lands : disappointment in the promise of the new nation -- Dancing in place : retaining a land base -- Bible, primer, hoe, and plow : resistance through religion, education, and subsistence -- Spirit of a nation : retaining political sovereignty -- Paddling song : traditional skills as a tool of resistance -- Birches and baskets : commodification of culture and economic resistance -- Epilogue: The role of tradition in the story of a people.
- 1584653817 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -244) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2715296