Career errors : straight talk about the steps and missteps of career development / Frank Burtnett
- Burtnett, Frank, 1940-
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, Inc., 
- Second edition.
- Physical Description:
- x, 266 pages : illustrations (colour) ; 24 cm
- Entering, reentering, and moving about the world of work -- Clueless about how the career development process works -- Sub par decision-making leading to catastrophic consequences -- A good search spoiled -- Unknown occupations are off the career radar -- Missed or failed education, training, and retraining opportunities -- Inability to find or use good information -- Over-aspiring and under-aspiring with troubled results -- Ignorance of human resources and life experiences as career teachers -- The perils of poor time and calendar organization -- Failure to use professional counselors -- Finding, acquiring, and moving into the first or any job -- Inability to adapt to change -- Inadequate job search skills -- A killer resume and you are the deceased -- The interview that implodes -- Poor writing resulting a failure to communicate -- Mismanagement of transitions -- You didn¿t get the job and don¿t know why -- To accept or not accept, the job offer that is -- Coping with new job anxieties and stresses -- Holding out for the ¿dream¿ job -- Insufficient encounters with career helpers -- Achieving career satisfaction and dealing with the occasional crisis -- Blundered growth, mobility, and maintenance opportunities -- Inability to achieve life-work balance -- Faulty treatment of termination, job loss, and other career dilemmas -- Ignoring the knowledge explosion -- Winding down exiting career -- Poor posturing for career end and retirement -- Mishandling change late in career -- Voices that matter -- Learning from the experts -- Conclusion -- Appendix -- Index -- About the author.
- 9781475848410 hardcover alkaline paper and 1475848412 hardcover alkaline paper
- Revised edition of the author's Career errors, .
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27402678