The art of noticing : 131 ways to spark creativity, find inspiration, and discover joy in the everyday / Rob Walker ; illustrations by Mendelsund/Munday
- Walker, Rob, 1968-
- New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 237 pages : color illustrations ; 19 cm
- Looking -- Sensing -- Going places -- Connecting with others -- Being alone.
- "A handsome, beautifully produced compilation of meditations and exercises to inspire us to find joy and expand the ways we engage with the people and places, the objects and tasks we encounter in our everyday lives. Long-time workplace advice columnist for The New York Times, Rob Walker, draws from his annual School for Visual Arts course and from interviews he conducted with men and women from a wide range of disciplines, has designed 131 exercises and meditations to encourage and guide us in rediscovering joy and creativity in our lives. In a world ruled by distraction and increasing demands on our attention, it's never been more important to notice what matters to you. To stay eager, to connect, to find interest in the everyday, to notice what others overlook, these are skills that are both vital and delightful--and this gorgeously illustrated volume can help you acquire and hone these very skills. The short, playful entries that make up The Art of Noticing include "Look for Ghosts and Ruins," "Look Slowly," "Make It Art," "Compose a Personal Plaque." Here is a book that will provide inspiration to everyone, from the artist or designer developing an aesthetic to the techie looking to disrupt a new market. But, it will be its own joyful reward for anyone, in any walk of life, who takes a chance at noticing"--
"A handsome, beautifully produced compilation of meditations and exercises to inspire us to find joy and expand the ways we engage with the people and places, the objects and tasks we encounter in our everyday lives"--
- 9780525521242 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -237).
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries)
View MARC record | catkey: 27408823