Kafka and Wittgenstein [electronic resource] : The Case for an Analytic Modernism / Rebecca Schuman
- Schuman, Rebecca
- Evanston, Illinois : Northwestern University Press, 2015. and Baltimore, Md. : Project MUSE, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (pages cm)
- Additional Creators:
- Project Muse
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Introduction: why Kafka and Wittgenstein? -- Logical modernism: Kafka and the Tractatus logico-philosophicus -- Logic, skepticism, and mysticism -- The trial and the law of logic -- The metamorphosis and the limits of metaphorical language -- "The judgment," ethics, and the ineffable -- Analytic skepticism : Kafka and the philosophical investigations -- Wittgenstein's transition and a more analytic Kafka -- The castle and the paradox of ostensive definition -- Rule-following and failed execution in "The penal colony" -- The private language argument and the undermining of "Josefine the singer" -- Concluding thoughts: the problem with (critical) progress.
- 0810131501, 9780810131507, 0810131463, 9780810131460 (cloth : alk. paper), and 9780810131842 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Based on the author's dissertation--University of California-Irvine, 2010.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27409184