Spectacular Disappearances [electronic resource] : Celebrity and Privacy, 1696-1801 / Julia H. Fawcett
- Fawcett, Julia H.
- Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 2016.
Baltimore, Md. : Project MUSE, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (pages cm)
- Additional Creators:
- Project Muse
- muse.jhu.edu , Open Access:
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Introduction -- The celebrity emerges as the deformed king: Richard III, the king of the dunces, and the overexpression of Englishness -- The growth of celebrity culture: Colley Cibber, Charlotte Charke, and the overexpression of gender -- The canon of print: Laurence Sterne and the overexpression of character -- The fate of overexpression in the age of sentiment: David Garrick, George Anne Bellamy, and the paradox of the actor -- The memoirs of Perdita and the language of loss: Mary Robinson's alternative to overexpression -- Coda: overexpression and its legacy.
9780472119806 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27409267