Rising from the rails : Pullman porters and the making of the Black middle class / Larry Tye
- Tye, Larry
- Additional Titles:
- Pullman porters and the making of the Black middle class
- New York : Henry Holt, 2004.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 314 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Out of bondage, all aboard -- Rough rides, intimate encounters -- My name's not George -- Saint Philip and the battle for brotherhood -- Behind the mask -- Train to freedom -- A legacy that lasts.
- Describes how the Pullman Company hired former slaves as sleeping car porters and became the largest employer of African American men in the country by the 1920s, creating a unique culture that blazed a path for a black middle class.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Harrisburg copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2010.
View MARC record | catkey: 2749136