I Chronicles : a new translation with introduction and commentary / Gary Knoppers
- Uniform Title:
- Bible. Chronicles, 1st. English. Knoppers. 2004
- Additional Titles:
- 1 Chronicles, First Chronicles, and Society of Biblical Literature abbreviation for series: AB
- New York : Doubleday, 2004.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : maps ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Knoppers, Gary N., 1956-
- 1. 1-9 -- 2. 10-29.
- This text claims that Chronicles provides a distinct perspective on much of Israel's past, especially the monarchy. The author discusses how the chronicler's introduction to the people of Israel redefines Israel itself; explains and defends the transition from Saul to David; and shows how the Davidic-Solomonic monarchy was not only a time of incomparable achievement and glory, but also the period during which the nations most important public institutions--the Davidic dynasty, the Jerusalem Temple, the priests, and the Levites--took formative shape. This text also systematically employs the Dead Sea Scrolls to reconstruct the biblical author's text. In doing so, the author reveals how Chronicles is related to and creatively drawn from many earlier biblical books, and presents a look at its connections, in both compositional style and approach, to the historical writings of ancient Mesopotamia and classical Greece.
- 0385469284 (alk. paper)
9780385469289 (alk. paper)
0385512880 (v. 2)
9780385512886 (v. 2)
- PSU Archives copy inscribed by author.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 139-241) indexes.
- Source of Acquisition:
- PSU Archives copy: Gift of Norman Fisher; 2015.
View MARC record | catkey: 2757891