Visual histories of the classical world : essays in honour of R.R.R. Smith / edited by Catherine M. Draycott, Rubina Raja, Katherine Welch, and William T. Wootton
- Turnhout, Belgium : Brepols, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xlii, 548 pages : illustrations (some color), maps, plans ; 28 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Smith, R. R. R.
Draycott, Catherine M. (Catherine Mary), 1970-
Raja, Rubina, 1975-
Welch, Katherine E.
Wootton, William T. (William Thomas), 1976-
- Studies in classical archaeology ; volume 4
- Language Note:
- In English, with two contributions in German.
- "Professor R.R.R. Smith is one of the foremost scholars in the study of Classical art, or more broadly, 'visual culture', pioneering research that examines not only the details of images and objects themselves, but also their contexts and underlying conceptual frameworks. Key to his approach is a focus on social identity: by exploring the people who commissioned, produced, and consumed ancient art, he has offered important insights into what this can tell us about how people lived, and how they perceived themselves and were seen by others. This volume, produced on the occasion of R.R.R. Smith's 65th birthday, draws together essays from a distinguished group of researchers who have been inspired by Smith's work and its value for reconstructing ancient social and cultural history. The papers gathered here consider various aspects of art and architecture in the classical world, engaging directly with R.R.R. Smith's own research, and at the same time celebrating his enormous contribution to scholarship"--Back cover.
- 9782503576329 (paperback)
- Errata slip inserted.
"Bibliography of R.R.R. Smith": pages xxxv-xl.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27680763