Local portraiture : through the lens of 19th-century Iranian photographers / Carmen Pérez González
- Pérez González, Carmen, 1969-
- Leiden : Leiden University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (328 pages) : facsimiles, illustrations (some color), portraits (some color).
- Iranian Studies Series
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Visual literacy : the relationship between the direction of writing and composition -- The written image : text and photography -- Pose, gesture and objects held by the sitter -- Arrangement of space -- Interactions between Western and Iranian photography.
- Photography is clearly not a mirror of daily life: that images are constructions is especially obvious in19th-century studio portrait photography. This book explores how indigenous Iranian photographers constructed their own realities in contrast to how foreign photographers constructed Iranians' realities. Through an in-depth comparative visual analysis of 19th-century Iranian portrait photography and Persian painting, the author arrives at the insight that aesthetic preferences correlate with socio-cultural habits and practices in writing, reading and looking. Subsequently, she advocates for a place in a global history of photography for those unknown, local photo histories (such as the Iranian one) and for the indigenous photographers who produced them.
- 9400600771 (electronic bk.)
9789400600775 (electronic bk.)
- Knowledge Unlatched
View MARC record | catkey: 27682082